Gov't Energy Support for Liveaboards

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Just heard on Moneybox that the £400 support is now available for Liveaboards. They say go to gov.uk site and search for
Energy support non automatic.

That's all I know - hope it's useful for some 🙂

Momac

Visit site
I hear this is only available if the boat is on a residential mooring and council tax is paid for that mooring but I am open to being corrected if anyone discovers otherwise.

Trident

Visit site
They are still in consultation about those on a Continuous Cruising license on the inland waterways and have not even thought that those in sea going boats might live aboard so don't hold your breath!

Trident

Visit site
If you are cheating the system how can you expect help from the system.
Why do you assume liveaboards are cheating the system? If you for example live aboard at anchor you are not breaking any rules or required to pay any council tax. You may well pay income tax, you certainly pay VAT, probably car tax, fuel duty etc so you contribute to the system and thus are morally entitled to the same universal support as others. Of course legal entitlement comes merely from citizenship regardless of where or how you live.

Minerva

Visit site
If you are cheating the system how can you expect help from the system.

After this set of incumbents giving Billions of pounds of our tax payers money out to their mates, I’m all for the average joe sweating the chancellor for every single penny they are entitled to!

V1701

Visit site
The government have said that all households will get help and to my knowledge there is no requirement that in order to get it you be a payer of anything other than the fuel bills for your household. Therefore if you can provide evidence that you live where you live and pay the fuel bills surely you should get the help...

Seastoke

Visit site
If you are cheating the system how can you expect help from the sy
Why do you assume liveaboards are cheating the system? If you for example live aboard at anchor you are not breaking any rules or required to pay any council tax. You may well pay income tax, you certainly pay VAT, probably car tax, fuel duty etc so you contribute to the system and thus are morally entitled to the same universal support as others. Of course legal entitlement comes merely from citizenship regardless of where or how you live.
Why do you assume I was talking Bout being on anchor , I was talking about peeps who should be paying council tax.

Trident

Visit site
Nothing has been said here about not paying council tax when due ...

And outside of boats anyone on NFA such as travellers, van dwellers etc are due to pay council tax but still have to pay for heat and power somehow and should be entitled to government support as much as anyone else.

nortada

Visit site
What is NFA and if they are nomadic travellers, who do they pay council tax to? Council tax is a local tax paid to the local authorities.

My understanding, if a traveller rents a mooring/site, the provider is required to collect council tax and pay it to the council. This is one reason that marinas and caravan parks are reluctant to have transients staying for longer periods.

As I see it, if a nomad claims energy allowances they run a very real risk of being hit with council tax, which could be in excess of the benefit.🫣

My experience comes from owning a static caravan in a holiday park where we paid a reduced level of council tax but were not permitted to reside permanently in our caravan.

The caravan park owners were required to demonstrate that we resided permanently at an alternative address - in our case, in Portugal on a British flagged vessel.

This produced some interesting discussions as none of the local authorities could confirm/read our Portuguese contract - so we provided them with our translation - that worked.😏

Last edited:

Trident

Visit site
What is NFA and if they are nomadic travellers, who do they pay council tax to? Council tax is a local tax paid to the local authorities.

No fixed abode - and if you are NFA you are not required to pay council tax which is the point I was making

As I see it, if a nomad claims energy allowances they run a very real risk of being hit with council tax, which could be in excess of the benefit.🫣

A true nomad is not required by law to pay council tax but as a citizen is still entitled to government support or benefits