Fuel Polisher & Antifoulers : Portishead

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We are planning to overwinter in Portishead this year - we're nearly there, but Agnes is keeping us at Milford Haven!

We are new to the area and wondered if anyone can recommend a fuel polisher & a person to do antifouling in Portishead marina?

Any "Fred Drift" comments on things that are good / useful around Portishead would be interesting. We are Bristolians originally so we know the city but have never sailed in the Channel.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Just posted a Cardiff to Bristol note on the Round Britain thread. It's a concentration passage but fun.
If you have a following wind it's easier to turn into the pool at Portishead to drop sails than trying to do it in the channel.

There is a counter current eddy close to Portishead Point near high tide so don't worry if you slow down as you approach. The tide is not turning.

Marina staff are helpful and the lock has floating pontoons, unlike Bristol where they lower rings for your lines.

Depending on weather there are several places to stop off if you don't want the hassle and delays of calling into the ports on the way. We have seen out the tide outside Tenby, off the Gower (and Mumbles), outside Minehead but we have not used Barry yet. Lundy is a good haven in strong westerlies.

PM me if you want more. I'm in Bedminster.

Matt

donm

Visit site
Just posted a Cardiff to Bristol note on the Round Britain thread. It's a concentration passage but fun.
If you have a following wind it's easier to turn into the pool at Portishead to drop sails than trying to do
There is a counter current eddy close to Portishead Point near high tide so don't worry if you slow down as you approach. The tide is not turning.

Marina staff are helpful and the lock has floating pontoons, unlike Bristol where they lower rings for your lines.

Depending on weather there are several places to stop off if you don't want the hassle and delays of calling into the ports on the way. We have seen out the tide outside Tenby, off the Gower (and Mumbles), outside Minehead but we have not used Barry yet. Lundy is a good haven in strong westerlies.

PM me if you want more. I'm in Bedminster.

Matt
Barry is accessible at any state of tide and an easy entrance.
We have just had a boat move here from Portishead for a winter ashore because the marina is closed for October for work on the locks so I would give them a call?

Megaboat

Visit site
We are planning to overwinter in Portishead this year - we're nearly there, but Agnes is keeping us at Milford Haven!

We are new to the area and wondered if anyone can recommend a fuel polisher & a person to do antifouling in Portishead marina?

Any "Fred Drift" comments on things that are good / useful around Portishead would be interesting. We are Bristolians originally so we know the city but have never sailed in the Channel.
Boatcare at Portishead are good if a bit expensive. They now have fuel polishing facility