Faults with Autohelm tridata display

GrahamP

Visit site
I have a old Autohelm Tridata instrument for depth and speed that works well.

The Speed and Reset buttons beep when pressed and appear to work properly. However, the Depth and Trip buttons do not beep when pressed and show no response. The result is that I am unable to modify alarms, change the offset etc. (These two switches do move and have the correct tactile response.)

I'm guessing that the two switches are now failing to make and break. If you are familiar with this autohelm instrument I would appreciate help/information ...

Should the Depth and Trip buttons beep?
Have you experienced a simiar problem?
How easy is it to dismantle the instrument without making things worse?
Does anyone have a working instrument for sale?
If I source a later version of the Tridata instrument would the old transducers work?

Any information gratefully appreciated,

Many thanks,
Graham

earlybird

Visit site
I don't remember my Tridata beeping, but maybe that's me. Guessing that you have the old ST50 version, if you do replace with an ST60, the original transducers will still work. The later instruments have different cable connections. You will have to cut the ST50 connectors off the transducer cables and use small, 3mm?, spade connectors as per operating instructions. The power connectors and seatalk can be likewise.
NB; The log transducer will only work correctly with the newer instrument if its temperature sender is OK. Not all are.

pvb

Visit site
If you have reasonable DIY skills, older instruments are usually capable of being taken apart and put back together (with no bits left over!). I've done it with old Stowe Dataline displays. The buttons have little metal bits which "click" on to a printed circuit; clean the contact areas and they'll usually work fine. Try to re-assemble in very dry conditions, and use silicone sealant to waterproof the case.

GrahamP

Visit site
Pvb, Earlybird and Nigel...

Thank you for your helpful comments.
The boat will soon be out of the water and I will carefully dismantle and try to repair. If not fixable I'll look to replacing the instrument.

Thanks again.