Dehler rudder architecture

dgadee

Visit site
The rudder stock is obviously stainless, but the bit above is aluminium. I have wondered for some years how they connect. Any idea?

IMG_20240418_153528329_1.jpg

bignick

Visit site
What makes you so sure the rudder stock is stainless?
Is there another bearing in the hull below the one you can see?

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
What makes you so sure the rudder stock is stainless?
Is there another bearing in the hull below the one you can see?
Yes, there must be! And an upper one on a horizontal beam.

Rudder stock under the keel is clearly ss. It is much smaller diameter, too, than the part in the image. That aluminium section is at least 100mm at the bearing.

dgadee

Visit site
I think I am wrong, BigNick.

Rudder stock seems to be aluminium with a ss collar. After all these years of ownership I think I now get it.

bignick

Visit site
That would seem more logical - there would be little point going to the expense of tapering that large piece of aluminium stock you showed in your photo unless it was load bearing (in bending).

morgangaz

Visit site
That would seem more logical - there would be little point going to the expense of tapering that large piece of aluminium stock you showed in your photo unless it was load bearing (in bending).
The rudder stock is obviously stainless, but the bit above is aluminium. I have wondered for some years how they connect. Any idea?

View attachment 176068
The stock is aluminium throughout its length

View attachment 176068
the stock is aluminium throughout its length there is several aluminium box’s welded to it inside the blade
Corrosion in the top of the rudder is a high risk if the water tight condition of the blade is not maintained
I rebuilt one a few years ago exactly the same set up