Day Skipper looking for sailing experience - Clyde/West Coast Scotland

dcshadow

Visit site
Hello !
New here and first time poster so be gentle :D
I'm Glasgow based and looking to hear of opportunities for time under sail, particularly opportunities originating/terminating on the West Coast of Scotland

I have day skipper, VHF licensed, circa ~300nm under my belt, working towards achieving YMO and have aspirations of a retirement doing yacht deliveries.

Beyond raising this forum post, what would your recommendations be for getting time on deck?

Cheers
DC

Obi

Visit site
What a superb plan :) I wish you well, and hope you get what you want from your retirement.

You might be able to join and help out as crew on delivery. Although I am not sure if they require more qualifications before taking on even as crew. Try the yachting delivery companies, they are well known. Although I suspect they might want a bit more experience.

However, you could treat yourself and do some RYA training. The six month zero to hero course is a superb experience for someone who does not have their own boat and wants to do a lot of sailing whilst getting valuable experience and training. Could be "food for thought"? A short investment of 4-6 months, and a few thousand ££ and your sailing CV would then be a very different consideration. Still not enough for professionally paid work, that requires the MCA commercial endorsement. But you would be a very solid position to promote your services and help and be a very credible candidate when someone was considering help on a longer trip.

Going beyond your question, and this may be irrelevant:
If you want to do deliveries as a source of income, I recommend you think about getting "really stuck in" to a program of new activities to build up those miles and experiences and to do so sooner rather than later. It takes a long time to build up those miles with the occasional sail.