cobblers

Birdseye

Visit site
Yes, nothing to do with sailing at all, but does no one ever get sgoes repaired these days? All disposeable? I am trying to find an honest to god old fashioned cobbler anywhere in the arc from Cardiff to Bristol. Preferably near Abergavenny / Monmouth / Chepstow. There ised to be one in Chepstow on Riflemans Walk but he is long gone.

Tried all the usual search engines etc and wont go near Timpsons

Last edited:

donm

Visit site
Yes, nothing to do with sailing at all, but does no one ever get sgoes repaired these days? All disposeable? I am trying to find an honest to god old fashioned cobbler anywhere in the arc from Cardiff to Bristol. Preferably near Abergavenny / Monmouth / Chepstow. There ised to be one in Chepstow on Riflemans Walk but he is long gone.

There’s one at the top of Thompson Street in Barry and another in the small arcade in Penarth?

Sneds

Visit site
I took some boots to the shoe repair shop in Clevedon, proper old fashioned shop that also cuts keys.
They said the heels and soles on my boots were not built to be repaired and had to be chucked away.

Visit site
I used to know a chap whose family owned and ran and had done for several generations a number of shoe and boot repairers in the city they could even stitch a leather sole onto a shoe without ruining it, he would almost explode if the term cobblers was used to describe their business. I have a fondness for the word though and often use it in its most used form as an expletive. ?

Sneds

Visit site
Reminds me of that old joke about the time the Queen was was on a walk-a-bout when the heel broke on her shoe, luckily there was a shoe repair shop just along the road and the elderly gentleman there repaired the shoe and refused all attempts at payment for his work.
In gratitude Her Majesty granted the old boy and his shop a royal warrant.
You’ve guessed it, the very next day his shop was adorned with a large sign proclaiming ………..
“Cobblers to the Queen”

Well, made me laugh back in 74 when I first heard it!