Canal Boats on C du Midi

DeeGee

Visit site
Oo, er... never been 'ere before... 'ere goes...

I am looking for info on spending a holiday on a canal boat on the Canal du Midi. There is a lot of choice available via Google, but there is just nothing like personal recommendation. I am sure you guys will be able to help. PM or direct on thread is OK by me.

miket

Visit site
Like many hire boat operations there are varying degrees of comfort available.
I believe that few are what we in the UK know as "Canal Boats". ie; long thin tin tubes with a max' beam (width) of 6ft 10 inch.
Many of the boats look very odd if you are used to owning your own boat.
The number of berths (beds) quoted is usually very optimistic. Look at the interior plan and check your requirements are satisfied.
Personally, I would take the time to visit a short list of operators that seem to provide suitable boats to ensure the actual boats match expectations. No hardship taking a long weekend and sampling some wine.
There is one yard that operates a couple of quite new Linsenns. I think there is a link through the Linnsen website.
Lovely area to cruise. Believe the water is usually fairly brown!!

apollo

Visit site
We hired from Crown Blue Line and did a one way trip from Castlenaudray to St Gilles around Whitsun time.

Weather was great, the boat was extremly well fitted out including aircon and a bath!

Only one cloud is that at some locations along the canal (Agde was one) there had been hassles with locals breaking in to the boats. We didnt have any problems but others had.

Recommend the Etang d'tau and especially likd Marseillan.

You wont starve or go thirsty round there!

Mike

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
If you hire a boat, you do not need any qualifications.

From what I understand, the break ins are not by 'locals'' but by nice people from Eastern Europe and other incomers.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Recommend the Etang d'tau and especially likd Marseillan.

second that.

also Connasure (probaly spelt wrong) have nice boats we had the Magnifique 48ft fly of all things very comfortable

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
If you prefer something more traditional looking you might like the Penichettes from Locaboat. Some of the modern style cruisers suffer from windage. Minervois Cruisers has British built steel narrowboat style hire boats at Le Somail.

Consider carefully when to go, as it can be too hot for comfort during a canicule in high summer and many cruisers have no shade on deck. (we live there)