Can I Sail From England To Spain in a Bayliner 3055 31'

oldgit

Visit site
The guys who owned Haslar, sailed their RIB down to Morocco for hols, so a Bayliner should make it.
PS
Pay my fare home/feed & water & I'll give you a hand.;)

So 20 marinas @ £40.00 per night
20 Marina resturant and bar bills £????? :)

Spi D

Visit site
For how long would you like to use it down there?

Rental might be an option. At a price, of course, but only for the days you use it.

maby

Visit site
Don't forget that the £5k estimate is one way - unless you are planning on leaving it there, you are looking at £10k - cheaper to charter?

Beamishken

Visit site
I guess if you treat the trip down as a holiday and not just a delivery trip & were prepared to leave the boat and return to continue later if faced by delays then it would be an awesome adventure
personally if I wanted to relocate my boat and the cost of road transport was equal or even slightly less, id rather sail the boat & enjoy the trip
Lets face it £5k to get the boat there by road & no fun for you .Or £5k worth of boating pleasure ( if you look at the trip as pleasure rather than a chore)
Its a no brainer to me, its like free boating !
A lot depends on how you like to boat ,we like to travel long ish distances and get a buzz out of pushing our boundaries so would enjoy a trip like this. However if you idea of boating heaven is to potter 5 miles down the coast and anchor for lunch then head back then you might not like a challenging trip like this
Its very much a personal choice decision

Last edited:

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Go for it!
Via canals. Little hop across to Calais . Lovely 6-7 week holiday through summer to get to Ibiza.
Oh to have the time.

+1 if you have the time, the boats well sorted and you can handle a few niggles along the way....... Then sits a no brainer.

Only via the canals I wouldn't go anywhere near Biscay.

A memory that would last a life time.

jrudge

Visit site
I have some experience of part of this journey.....

Had a Cranchi 33 Endurance that we took to UK to La Rochelle twice, and then down as far as Arcashon.

Coast hopping fine.

In a bigger boat T40 we went to Santander and then back to La Rochelle. We were intending to head to Gib but the sea was quite rough on N Spain Coast ( July) and the distance LONG.

Can it be done. Sure. Would I want to do it? Not really. Even in a big boat is is a long, boring, expensive way to transport a boat.

Doing it over a whole summer for example might be OK ( or even 2 summers) and enjoy the scenery,ports and cultures on the way.

Otherwise ... as above - stick it on a truck!

Finally re Ibiza - and this is mentioned above - there are very few marinas and they are very expensive. We are in Mallorca ( about 50 Marinas round the island) and this would be nicer in a small boat ( my view!).

Jeremy

sealines28

Visit site
You will find that a lot of insurance companies will not insure you to go around, but ok for the cannels, I have an S28 after looking at all the options had mine taken by lorry, work out a lot cheaper, took mine to Alicante, best choice ever, was going to Ibiza for a visit, wow the mooring cost was shocking wanted £110 a night????

paul salliss

Visit site
I 100 percent agree, assuming you have the time and knowledge then drive it round , where is the sense of adventure with people, way too much talk of putting boats on trucks, if you don't have sufficient confidence take a pro with you.

You will learn loads

Nautorius

Visit site
I 100 percent agree, assuming you have the time and knowledge then drive it round , where is the sense of adventure with people, way too much talk of putting boats on trucks, if you don't have sufficient confidence take a pro with you.

You will learn loads

I think most people have missed the obvious. Sail her to France, put her on a Lorry across france. Launch in SOF then boat down to Ibiza. You save some money but have an adventure! Have done this before and it is a great way to get a boat to Menorca, so similar for Ibiza.

Seastoke

Visit site
you need to explain more as the summer will be half way through when you get there are you going to leave it for a few seasons ,do you intend to live on it ,sounds like you dont have a plan,there was a feature in mbm you could do the canals to the med and back in two weeks i think .

capsco

Visit site
you need to explain more as the summer will be half way through when you get there are you going to leave it for a few seasons ,do you intend to live on it ,sounds like you dont have a plan,there was a feature in mbm you could do the canals to the med and back in two weeks i think .

I think you have misunderstood, I doubt very much if you could do one way in 2 week's