Who owns (and still uses) the most ancient bit of marine electronics.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Seafarer 700 echo sounder and Seacourse tiller pilot. Not in use quite yet, but soon.
You could, until fairly recently still buy the Stingray sounder from NASA Marine. Their website say they are no longer being made because the right parts are becoming scarce.

I don't wish to swank, but I have the one that also has a digital read out as well as the whirligig . Also stand alone if required with AA batteries .

wombat88

Visit site
Seafarer depth sounder anyone? Or better still a VDO speedo/log driven by a small prop and speedometer cable. Admittedly I took this out...

DownWest

Visit site
You could, until fairly recently still buy the Stingray sounder from NASA Marine. Their website say they are no longer being made because the right parts are becoming scarce.

I don't wish to swank, but I have the one that also has a digital read out as well as the whirligig . Also stand alone if required with AA batteries .
The 700 has a digital readout (bit cloudy) and takes a 9v battery. On the shelf, I also have the Seafarer log unit with the solid state sensor, but that is staying there.
Best bit of old kit is the central processing unit that integrates wind speed and direction, depth, course to steer, speed and autopilot, but that is begining to get glitches, dates from '47 :cool:

Rappey

Visit site
Seafarer voyager echo sounder,(digital)around 35yrs old, on its 2nd transducer but a great echo sounder.
Seafarer voyager wind instrument. The part up the mast reliably spun and rotated for 33 years without any maintenance or repairs but finally lost the wind direction readout. Took it to be repaired, but it is not repairable :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516_105227_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_105227_Google.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 8

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.08.24.png

Prosser Tideclock.
I'm sure this was state of the art at some point in the past. Its current function is to hide the screw holes for it's own mounting bracket in the otherwise lovely GRP. It still works but I've never used it in anger.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
View attachment 177043

Prosser Tideclock.
I'm sure this was state of the art at some point in the past. Its current function is to hide the screw holes for it's own mounting bracket in the otherwise lovely GRP. It still works but I've never used it in anger.
I've got one of those too. I usually get tide curves from the BBC website but use this device when there's no GSM signal. It's quicker than booting up the chart plotter if it's not on.

Frank Holden

Visit site
Did someone mention Lucas - Prince of Darkness?
I still have the original 1986 Lucas sternlight on my boat with the original incandescent bulb. It's outlived more than a few Aquasignal tris and bi's.
Some young pup suggested I should change it for a fancy new LED jobby ( that's Glaswegian).
That would be akin to turning off the Centennial light
Centennial Light - Wikipedia

oilybilge

Visit site
It's hardly an antique, but our boat came with this very nice Stowe trailing log.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpeg
    IMG_4617.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 4