Todays challenge

chris-s

Visit site
So, with an engine now declared dead, today’s challenge will be getting home. Only four or five miles from the Helford, but need some wind to get going so we don’t loose steerage and drift into other boats around the moorings.

Its feeling hopeful!

Quite what we do when we get back to our home swing mooring I’m not sure, but let’s get there first!

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
So, with an engine now declared dead, today’s challenge will be getting home. Only four or five miles from the Helford, but need some wind to get going so we don’t loose steerage and drift into other boats around the moorings.

Its feeling hopeful!

Quite what we do when we get back to our home swing mooring I’m not sure, but let’s get there first!
Will probably turn out to be the best most satisfying sail of the season.

veshengro

Visit site
I'm sure I don't need to advise, but just clear away your anchor and make sure it's free to run before you sail for the Helford. You will pick up your mooring and probably do it again in future, just for fun. 👍

B27

Visit site
It shouldn't be too much of a problem finding someone to offer you a tow for the last bit, or at least stand by while you sail to the mooring.
Most people are happy to help if they know you have a problem.

Refueler

Visit site
All I can say -as I suspect OP is already on way in ...

Take time to think through before committing ... have a plan and keep to it ... if others on board ass well - don't let them bend your plan unless they actually see / observe something that needs change ..
Keep good check on any changes in wind / tide / currents ...

This may sound daft - but I had a person on the bow when I had similar dead engine state from Folly In - through Cowes etc ... they were there - a) as eyes fwd, ready to drop anchor.. b) to shout out at others that we were without engine ... and all boats responded well to that ..

Have a fall back option ... which usually means anchor and rode laid out ready to be dropped over if needed.

chris-s

Visit site
Well…we made it back!
Navigating out of the mooring field at the Helford required a quick 180 which went flawlessly by backing the main.
Out across the bay the wind on our aft port quarter, gradually picking up as we dodged the morning racers.
Got to the Fal, turned to port and after clearing black rock by 0.3nm the wind died completely leaving us bobbing. For a while we just held our own against the current but then began drifting straight back towards the rock. We considered deploying the anchor and waiting it out.
After quarter of an hour with no forward movement and all attempts to change our alignment with black rock, it still insisted on reeling us in. We called the coastguard to advise them of our situation in case things didn’t improve. They put a call out to see if anybody would be willing to tow us if needed and some lads on a large rib doing a spot of fishing offered to come to assist us.
About twenty minutes later they arrived on scene just as the wind was beginning to lift us from the clutches of Black Rock. It was only a momentary respite tho and they offered to tow us to our mooring a couple of miles up river. Needless to say, we gladly took them up in their offer. That large rope lying in the bottom of the locker, I knew it would come in handy one day.
The young skipper was a professional yacht master and knew what he was doing, so with music pumping out of their speakers they got us back onto our mooring. (I think he does some work for Sea Start who I am now a member of!)
Once they were happy we were secure we bid them on their way with a bag of cold beers and all the cash we could muster. Thanks guys.

So…next job…any tips on fixing a head gasket?

B27

Visit site
I bet the the breeze picked up soon after low tide?
But it's probably a good move to get moored up in good time before all the potential helpers are ashore in the pub.

chris-s

Visit site
I bet the the breeze picked up soon after low tide?
But it's probably a good move to get moored up in good time before all the potential helpers are ashore in the pub.
Yep! A decent breeze when we were dinghying back to shore to go home. Typical!

Stemar

Visit site
So…next job…any tips on fixing a head gasket?
Cast iron heads and blocks are pretty bomb-proof, any damage should be obvious. Ally, OTOH, can distort, so check/ get it checked carefully. One way I've heard of, but not tried, is to spread a thin layer of 3 in 1 or similar oil on a sheet of glass and press it gently onto the head. If it lays flat, with no air gaps, it's OK, otherwise it's a job for a professional.

Get the workshop manual and follow the instructions for tightening the head bolts religiously. It used to be just a matter of tightening them evenly to the required torque, but there are too many ways of doing it now, some of which require now bolts every time.