Lofrans winches and anti-seize grease on screws

davidmh

Visit site
I hve recently found out that all the Lofrans winch now have an anti-seize grease smeared on the stainess screws to prevent them seizing, This is good news if it is correct. The grease thay use is System 251 Antigrippante Al Rame by Arexons. Ant of the forum have good Italian? It comes up o google and there is a spec sheet. Does it sound like something that would prevent the seizing of the bolts?
The Royal unit is very simple and although it is slow and manual itb is ideal for some people and half the price of the simplest electric unit when you consider the wiring needed. What I like about the Royal is that you hand just lift the chain out of the gypsy and haul it in by hand with the chain going down the hawse pipe and then when it gets tough you just just drop the chain back into the gypsy.
Any of the chemists on the forum, I would value your view on the System 251 grease.

David MH

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Can't say anything about 251 grease. I just use the normal (Morris?) grease that I have on board. As part of routine maintenance each winter, I loosen and retighten each of the face plate screws. Every few years I re-dip the screws in grease. Seems to keep tham free and no corrosion evident.

davidmh

Visit site
Can't say anything about 251 grease. I just use the normal (Morris?) grease that I have on board. As part of routine maintenance each winter, I loosen and retighten each of the face plate screws. Every few years I re-dip the screws in grease. Seems to keep tham free and no corrosion evident.
Thank you alahol. Have you had any call to take the unit apart to check the shaft and gears are rotating and sliding smoothly. How are they lubricated or is plastic on steel bushings.
David MH

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I refurbished my Royal a few years ago now. The internals are lubricated with a thin coat of grease. The main spindles run on 'nylon' bushes. The nylon bushes can be bought and are (were) extremely cheap. 99% sure I got them from Peachment in Norfolk.

Added Later...
Peachment was the supplier
The nylon bushes are as follows...

491 x 2 -630936​

493 x 1 -630935
494 x 2 -630933
498 x 1 -630934
268 x 4 -601433

Last edited: