IRC for cruisers

oldbloke

Visit site
The XOD class is going through some convolutions over that just now. You would scarcely believe what some will do to a 70 yr old wooden boat.
There are , of course, one designs and one designs. When just about everyone is sailing one of Dave Winder's masterpieces there really is nothing to do but look in the mirror

onesea

Visit site
Why else race - unless you race to win.
To take part, to enjoy trying to win. 1st isn't everything, sadly reaching is infected by checkbooks.
There are many well fought battles in the middle of the fleet. People who enjoy trying but are not that fussed about actually getting to the podium.
Good sailers who cannot afford the time/ money/ effort to be top flight but enjoy there races.

The XOD class is going through some convolutions over that just now. You would scarcely believe what some will do to a 70 yr old wooden boat.
They should start by removing the epoxy fairing from the forward sections if I recall that had been added layer by layer over the years.
Good fleet racing if you have the budget.
Don't mind getting wet for very little speed.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
To take part, to enjoy trying to win. 1st isn't everything, sadly reaching is infected by checkbooks.
There are many well fought battles in the middle of the fleet. People who enjoy trying but are not that fussed about actually getting to the podium.
Good sailers who cannot afford the time/ money/ effort to be top flight but enjoy there races.

They should start by removing the epoxy fairing from the forward sections if I recall that had been added layer by layer over the years.
Good fleet racing if you have the budget.
Don't mind getting wet for very little speed.
A bit of epoxy is cheap. It’s carbon tracks and boom inserts, and hiding your black bands in a race that are causing upset.

michael_w

Visit site
Don't the XODs have a bit of history for 'adjustments' ? IRRC there was a discrepancy in measured waterline lengths a few years ago.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Don't the XODs have a bit of history for 'adjustments' ? IRRC there was a discrepancy in measured waterline lengths a few years ago.
No 2 XODs are identical. Ours is the first boat built by Hampers, and is clearly larger than most. We are grandfathered, she was built in 1952. The last batch of new ones were built to ‘maximise’ the design, and ended up being altered, they were clearly cheating. Other people have taken older boats and cut and shut them to reduce rocker and extend the waterline. I could name 3 boats there. One of those also has a shroud round the sliding gooseneck, and a dodgy boom. It’s a one design, Jim, but not as we know it. We try to ‘soft police’ these things to prevent it getting out of hand. Usually, like the Latham boats, someone pushes and pushes until there’s a correction. I daresay IRC works like that too. Don’t take the piss is the golden rule.

Birdseye

Visit site
....and the yacht well prepared. Additionally the crew would race to win (they might also enjoy themselves but the focus was on winning).

Why else race - unless you race to win.

Jonathan
Thats where a lot of misunderstanding comes in. "winning" might be everything to you but that isnt the case for all others. Sure some people always try to win and hope to win, but lots of sailors just race for the fun of it Some dont believe they can win but still go for social reasons. And there are huge numbers who never race because of the aggression and competitiveness they see in the race fleets.

That is the big worry. At best, maybe only 2% of our local sailboats join in the racing. Many boats just float neglected on their berths. The racing issue that needs addressing is not handicaps but how to make racing a much less serious and more fun experience that will draw people in.

Birdseye

Visit site
I suppose I have to have and service more lifejackets, but I can't think of anything else... Certainly not even close to the sail bills.
Interesting comment. Is it traditional for the owner to provide life jackets? I ask because all my spares went with the last boat when I gave up sailing ( lasted 4 months) and I find that not all crew have their own. Perhaps more to the point, what does the skipper pay for and what does the whole crew cover - food, marina, euqipment etc

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Interesting comment. Is it traditional for the owner to provide life jackets? I ask because all my spares went with the last boat when I gave up sailing ( lasted 4 months) and I find that not all crew have their own. Perhaps more to the point, what does the skipper pay for and what does the whole crew cover - food, marina, euqipment etc
If I’m the skipper/owner, I’ll definitely be covering race entry fees, marina, and of course we have berths for all the crew required to race her. Otherwise people do a basic airbnb for the crew. Race lunch/sandwiches, lifejackets andany team clothing too. after that it gets more woolly. I’ve raced in St Tropez and been given the all inclusive treatment, partly because I skippered the delivery. Some skippers are pretty generous anyway. I guess it depends how deep your pockets are. Flaming is a lucky chap, he seems to have a bunch of ladies who go Dutch. We just run a boat that normally races 3 up.

Neeves

Visit site
Virtually all our races except for the RORC China Sea Races were day races, mostly Sundays. We needed a crew of 6 out of a pool of 10. I paid for race entry and at the end of a race we would get an idea of who could race the next weekend. One person, in an irregular rota was nominated to supply lunch. We often had newbies on the yacht to test them out and they would be taught sail trim, foredeck work etc. If after the race you wanted beer - you brought your own - but alcohol was not a big thing.

I supplied harnesses, tethers and lifejackets and paid for anything for the boat, racing insurance, race fees, fuel, flares I paid for new sails. If anything broke or was damaged, I paid. On the China Sea races the yacht was available for accomodation for the crew in the Phillipines, most wanted to fly home and back to work. Some of crew sailed, with me, the boat back. There was an annual race, CNY, to Macau - same - crew slept on the boat. Some would arrange for partners to take the ferry and would pay for their own accomodation. We had a rather large and boisterous dinner at the end of the outward leg - and I'd like to say I paid - but I don't recall. It was a 3 day event, one day out, a lay day when we played or watched the cricket on the beach and then a race back. Coming back, and from the Philippines, we had a major handicap - any alcohol was taxed heavily in HK and wine was cheap in Macau and rum cost peanuts in the Phillipines, having 6 cases of alcohol did not help performance - except all other yachts were similarly handicapped.

We dry sailed JoXephine, I paid all marina costs - I was the owner, and the crew, or most of them, spent time keeping the hull spotless before the RORC races. They wanted to be on a winning yacht.

The crew must have enjoyed racing - we sailed together for over 4 years, and years later I still keep in touch with most of them.

I'd comment that we were aggressive and committed - but that is the same for any sport whether its a work football team or professional swimming. Why anyone expects owners and crew to sit back and drink beer on a race - I don't understand.

If you, the yacht, don't know the rules - you are a liability - its expensive if you do the wrong thing at a mark - and you rightly, loudly and quickly are taught the error of your ways.

Jonathan

For the RORC races we would have a start of 50-60 yachts with crews of 6-8, will be more now - the yachts are really big now. Crews would be minimum of 6 - that's a lot of people willing to race for 4 days, maybe stop over then fly home - and another 4 days back. For the Typhoon series there might be 100 yachts at a start line - slightly smaller crew on each yacht. It was a change from the regime of suits and ties.

Last edited:

Ryanwilliams

Visit site
Interesting question.

I think the answer is not as simple as that. In my experience of IRC it works very well at rating broadly similar boats (i.e displacement type, or planing type) who are putting in broadly similar amounts of prep.

Think of it this way, in addition to design type, what IRC rates is well known. Rig size, sail size, boat weight, overhangs, keel type, engine type (inboard or outboard) and prop type. It also now rates number of headsails.

What it does not rate, that can make a huge difference to the performance of the boat, is sail material, sail age, hull state (antifouled, faired etc) and anything to do with sail controls, inhaulers etc.

So if your proposed opposition are largely sailing similarish boats with similarish amounts of prep. So also sailing with 1 roller genoa and one kite, also live in the water and are anitfouled etc, then sure IRC will do a pretty good job of rating the performance potential of the boats.
But, there's no safeguard against someone turning up with new sails etc that the handicap will not capture. So really it's more about ensuring that unless the fleet is of the "prepare to highest standard" type that the level of prep is at least vaguely similar.
Thanks i think i have learnt alot from your answers

flaming

Visit site
My view is that if it's required by the race rules, or the offshore special regs, then it's my lookout. And lifejackets are required, so there is a full set, with in date servicing, on the boat at all times. Some of the crew have their own and prefer them, and that's fine, but if they forget them one day then the boat still needs to be compliant with all regs every time it leaves the dock to go racing. It's also good peace of mind for me that if someone is wearing a lifejacket on my boat, then I know it's suitable for the sailign we are doing and has been professionally serviced. I also encourage those with lifejackets to put them in the pile at the end of the season so that they go off for servicing at the same time...

As to who covers what cost, that's very much an individual thing. I spent 15 amazing years sailing with one of the best and most generous people I've ever met. So now that I've taken on the mantle of owner, I try and do things the same way as far as possible.
When we go away, to Cowes or Dartmouth for example, then we rent a house and get food shopping etc, and we then split the costs. Because I'm the one sorting it all out I have the luxury of quietly saying to students etc "don't worry about it" but the expectation amongst the crew who all have good jobs is that I'm not funding their holiday, just the racing part. So when we go out for dinner it's again just the normal "large table in restaurant" settling up. At every event I try and make a point of buying the first round, but sometimes I'm almost forcibly prevented from doing so....

The crew are also aware that my pockets aren't quite as deep as the previous owners, and so have been chipping in for entry fees, which is good as it allows me to spend more on sails... But if they didn't I wouldn't complain. I'd love to be the sort of owner who just splashes out for all and sundry whilst at a regatta, but I'd probably have to downsize to a laser to do that....

olly_love

Visit site
My view is that if it's required by the race rules, or the offshore special regs, then it's my lookout. And lifejackets are required, so there is a full set, with in date servicing, on the boat at all times. Some of the crew have their own and prefer them, and that's fine, but if they forget them one day then the boat still needs to be compliant with all regs every time it leaves the dock to go racing. It's also good peace of mind for me that if someone is wearing a lifejacket on my boat, then I know it's suitable for the sailign we are doing and has been professionally serviced. I also encourage those with lifejackets to put them in the pile at the end of the season so that they go off for servicing at the same time...

As to who covers what cost, that's very much an individual thing. I spent 15 amazing years sailing with one of the best and most generous people I've ever met. So now that I've taken on the mantle of owner, I try and do things the same way as far as possible.
When we go away, to Cowes or Dartmouth for example, then we rent a house and get food shopping etc, and we then split the costs. Because I'm the one sorting it all out I have the luxury of quietly saying to students etc "don't worry about it" but the expectation amongst the crew who all have good jobs is that I'm not funding their holiday, just the racing part. So when we go out for dinner it's again just the normal "large table in restaurant" settling up. At every event I try and make a point of buying the first round, but sometimes I'm almost forcibly prevented from doing so....

The crew are also aware that my pockets aren't quite as deep as the previous owners, and so have been chipping in for entry fees, which is good as it allows me to spend more on sails... But if they didn't I wouldn't complain. I'd love to be the sort of owner who just splashes out for all and sundry whilst at a regatta, but I'd probably have to downsize to a laser to do that....
We have a very simlar approach to this,

my view is that ill provide a fully sorted boat with good sails and a clean bottom that doesnt break.

We cover all the inshore smaller entry fees etc but don't generally get dinner or other costs.

for the larger events or any we stay away then then we all split this. I have a rule of we provide the boat but wont pay for your holiday.

We have had the same core crew now for 12 years so seems to work well.

as Flaming has said i would love to be able to pay for everything but i think the days of that in the solent are dying.

Neeves

Visit site
We have a very simlar approach to this,

my view is that ill provide a fully sorted boat with good sails and a clean bottom that doesnt break.

We cover all the inshore smaller entry fees etc but don't generally get dinner or other costs.

for the larger events or any we stay away then then we all split this. I have a rule of we provide the boat but wont pay for your holiday.

We have had the same core crew now for 12 years so seems to work well.

as Flaming has said i would love to be able to pay for everything but i think the days of that in the solent are dying.
When we moved from HK to Oz I decided I would not race, I simply could not afford the yacht to compete and I could not stomach the ideas of building a new crew from scratch, when all the people who could crew were already committed. HK has gone the same way - big yachts. I crewed on an Etchells here - but it was not the same. I always enjoyed the sail back from the Philippines after the RORC races - we chose to cruise. and bought a yacht accordingly. Interestingly the sail trimming skills I learnt racing stood in good stead when cruising - and we never averaged 10 knots over 100nm when we raced - but did so cruising.... :)

Jonathan