Advice on Belgium and Netherlands Cruise.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I thought that the Customs in Ostend was next to the railway station.

In Vlissingen there is a newish marina straight ahead without turning into the lock. That is a short walk from the customs office.
The immigration office is exactly where you say. It is the last door at the left hand end of the railway building.
Perhaps the reference to "no customs" may have confused with Immigration. I have certainly had police, army, immigration & customs officials visit my yacht over the years
I think that you will find that the new marina is inside on the canal side, so you have to enter the lock. You enter & keep left. There is another small old marina on the right & I did stop there years ago. However, it is not really big enough for visitors. The Michiel de Ruijter Marina is outside. I have never been there though.
A friend told me that the flushing immigration met them at the lock & papers were lowered/raised in a bucket before they could complete lock transit

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
With a boat of your size and performance, I think that further north should be within your limits in two months. We did the Frisians and back in three weeks in a Sadler 29 from the Blackwater. Canals can be fun for a while but I get an urge to go sailing after a few days of it. You can sometimes get decent sailing from the Scheldt up to Willemstad but the Ijselmeer can be enjoyable, even challenging in the wrong weather. There can be problems with draft in the Frisian canals but you should be fine up to Lauersoog where the scenery is attractive and, er, flat.

There are a few bottlenecks in the Netherlands that can get very busy at weekends in high season, especially the locks, so it can be worth having a rest day on Sundays, when some bridges have limited openings, all recorded in the right almanacs and charts.

Poecheng

Visit site
Ostend is the easiest to enter regarding passports. As DB says, it is on the extreme left of the railway building (their telephone number is on a notice on the door) and they are great to deal with. If you are in the RNSYC basin or Mercator, it is minutes away. If you are in the Royal Yacht Club Ostend (at the end of the port) then it is a good 20m walk, or short tram. The RYCO is in more of the docks area but is cheapish, very good and very friendly and helpful - we liked it; they arranged for the passport people to come to us !!! There is no lock to go through (xref Mercator) and no big swell (xref RNSYC) and it is only a short distance further on.

Cadzand is a nice location and the chap running the marina will arrange for the passport people to come to the marina for checking in/out.

Vlissingen:
Passport people seem willing to come to the boat and v friendly. We didnt use them but have spoken to them once there.

Michel de Ruyter: very good and right in the centre of town. Small entrance way but, as with all these things, it is big enough!

If you go through the main sea-lock towards the canal then the choice is
A) VVW Schelde (Yacht club marina). From the lock you proceed until you have to turn right and you will see the fuel barge on port side and the lifting bridge ahead. On the right are some alongside pontoons either side of an opening to the VVW Schelde Marine/Club. This can definitely accommodate you without any difficulty either on the outside pontoons, on alongside pontoons within on the stbd side or perhaps on conventional (to us) finger berths if that is what you want (We are 12m plus tender in davits and simply not an issue at all). This is a very nice place to stop and the clubhouse has good clubhouse food and very friendly and welcoming - stayed here a few times, the last time was for a few days.

B) New marina.
From the main sea lock, you head down towards the canal but, instead of turning right at the end, the entrance is at the very end, just past the Amels factory and through a new lifting bridge at about 11 o'clock. Certainly last year, it only opened a few times a day, was pretty empty inside and a bit of a ghost place. The harbourmaster from VVW Schelde went across in a boat to service things so that gives you an impression.

C) In the old fishing dock there is now a collection of pontoons but not sure it would be classed as a marina and not sure who runs it - maybe a boatyard based around it but not obvious. As you head away from the sealock, this is on the right and shortly before you turn right for the canal/bridge.

Hope this helps

MK101

Visit site
If the bridge at Haarlem is closed , what about the bridge on the motorway to schipol airport on the night route through the nieuwe meere? One has to pass under the railway at Amsterdam of course, but I cannot imagine both railway bridges being shut together.
That is route 8 in Brian Navin's book
When they had the bridge collapse at Alphen aan de Rhin some years ago the Dutch arranged convoys down the coast for craft to bye pass the standing mast route. So I cannot believe that they have totally left voyagers to their own devices
To clarify the closure - it's the bridge near Schiphol which is totally inoperable at the moment (indeed till next year). So the night route is out. But the route through Haarlem to the North Sea Canal is open - although until 7th June there are quite severe restrictions at the Cruquiusbrug, so it's currently not that easy that way either. But once that's done, from the south it's the same route as going via the night convoy until you reach Oude Wetering. You turn west there and go via the rail/motorway bridge at Sassenheim. Or you could go via Leiden and the Kaag. Cruquiusbrug restrictions are here: Fairway Information Services

MK101

Visit site
8 weeks sounds wonderful. I'm jealous. The Delta is lovely, as you know. Oosterschelde and Westerschelde both fun to sail. We really like Zierikzee. It's always busy but so is everywhere, and we were able to get a berth at the yacht club before the town centre, saving rafting out into the middle of the channel. Westerschelde tides are something else. Dutch tidal chart atlas HP33 is invaluable. Info is available online as well (NLTides - HP33D) but the book is much easier to use.

But (and you certainly have the time) if you do want to go north then the Standing Mast route via Haarlem will take you a couple of very interesting days to get from the Hollandsdiep to beyond Amsterdam, and then there are so many options. Or you could get an urban fix and head back to sea via the Maas. Maasluis is a convenient place to stop and then head out past Hoek van Holland/Europoort, and go up the coast. You could stop in Scheveningen, but last time we did it we left Maasluis at about 1400 and arrived in Ijmuiden at about 2200. Another day sail from Ijmuiden will get you to Den Helder/Texel and the Waddenzee.

johnalison

Visit site
On average, you are more likely to meet westerlies later in the season, which can make the cruise more problematic than, say, the Channel Isles. If you do choose to do the north, which I do recommend if possible, then it makes sense to be within reach of home by the last week, or earlier. In all the years we went to the Netherlands or passed through, there was only one when we manage to have a free wind outside, when we spinnakered from Ijmuiden down to Stellendam. Often it is a bit of a slog, and involves working one's way down to Flushing/Breskens/Roompot before going to sea.